27 Sep Why Take a Tour?
Touring has been around for a long time and it is becoming more popular with each passing year. Today, touring companies are re-inventing this type of travel. The most popular destinations for escorted tours are Europe, Asia and South America, but you can find options for almost every destination. Here are some reasons why you should consider a tour:
- Logistics and Convenience: One of the most annoying parts of travel for many travelers is the logistics of getting from place to place. An escorted tour takes care of all the minute details and makes for a very convenient vacation.
- Destination Knowledge: There is no one that knows a destination better than a local. Escorted tours often have full-time tour guides who are native to the land. These guides can give great tips on each destination you visit. They also give you much more in depth and personalized information compared to what you get in travel books. Tour guides prepare you for each destination you visit and each experience you’ll have.
- Destination Immersion: On most tours, you will have the opportunity to be immersed in local culture and food. Escorted tours also take you to out of the way sites and give you experiences with locals that you won’t get on your own.
There are several different styles and ways to tour as well as several companies. Below are some of our favorite companies and what they offer:
- Globus: Globus is a premium brand that is the most inclusive. The hotels used are usually centrally located hotels. They offer local favorite activities that you won’t find anywhere else. Plus, don’t forget VIP access to top sites and attractions. Most sightseeing is included. Globus has recently added an Undiscovered Touring series. These are unique itineraries that visit places less traveled and offer special local flavors. The tours will take you off the beaten path in Italy, Brittan, Spain, Greece and Croatia.
- Cosmos: Cosmos is a more budget minded escorted tour. It offers hotels that are well located, but generally on the outskirts of the city center. Cosmos offers similar itineraries to Globus, but does not include as much of the sightseeing. For sights that are not included, there is free time to participate in optional tours or to explore the city on your own.
- Cosmos Lite: Cosmos Lite is a la cart touring and takes a more personalized approach to touring. This type of tour will include the logistics to get from city to city, a host to help you with information, and a choice of optional tours. With a Cosmos Lite tour, you get more free time and multiple night stays in cities. It is a convenient choice for those desiring a more leisurely tour.
- Monograms: Monograms is a great way to get immersed into a destination. These tours typically offer longer stays in each city. A Monograms vacation will usually include one to three cities with transportation (often by train) from city to city. The hotels are hand selected, centralized hotels with a host in each hotel to help you with destination information. Monograms tours include a ½ day city tour to get you acquainted with the city and the rest of the time you are free to explore at your own pace. The optional tours are VIP skip the line tours with lots of customization offered.
- Avalon Waterways: River cruises are becoming the most popular type of tour. With everything included, it is a great way to vacation. River cruises are mainly offered in Europe, but there are also some in Asia and other parts of the world. With food, touring, as well as expert hosts and guides, this is one of the best ways to get to know a destination. You visit quaint villages, UNESCO World Heritage sites, and partake in local flavors.
Touring is a fantastic way to vacation. You can choose from fast paced tours to tours at your own pace. There is something for just about everyone and every kind of traveler. Consider a tour for your next vacation!
Photos are taken in person or provided by the supplier except where credited.