What to See in South America
Hola! Olá! Raphi! Laphi! South America’s culture is vibrant in color, spice, music and ah yes, food. It is where you can find the best mouth watering steak and fresh fruit even the pickiest eater will be tempted to eat. Traveling to South America is a treat, but with 12 countries, it may be hard to know what to do or see, especially in some of the lesser-known countries. Each country has phenomenal things to offer. From jungles to glaciers and beaches to large cities, you have many opportunities to experience the various cultures and landscapes of South America. Among many activities you can choose from, we hope these are on your list. So get your bags packed and go visit these colorful destinations in style!
- Argentina: Visit the gigantic Moreno Glacier, feel water coming from the famous Iguazu Falls, or get your dancing shoes on and go Tango.
- Brazil: Hit the city life of Rio de Janeiro or relax on the beaches in Florianopolis. On another day, travel to Fernando de Noronha or take pictures with Christ the Redeemer statue on Corcovado Mountain.
- Paraguay: Stay a few nights in Asuncion, the capital. For a different feel, spend a day riding with ranchers or float down the Paraguay River on a cruise. Watch a football game with your whole family and feel the excitement of the crowd.
- Uruguay: Go to the small fishing town of La Barra, get artsy in Artigas Square, walk through the old town of Colonia del Sacramento, or go to Los Dedos Playa Brava and see the massive hand sculpture.
- Chile: See the glaciers in Torres del Pine National Park, the stone heads on Easter Island, or the beautiful village of Valparaiso. If you dare, get a taste of the driest place on Earth by heading over to the Atacama Desert.
- Bolivia: Head to the country’s largest city La Paz, sit by the water of Lake Titicaca or the Laguna Verde, or visit the city of Potosi.
- Peru: Visit the well-known Machu Picchu, stop by Huacachina, or head to Lima.
- Ecuador: Be among the jungles of the Amazon, find diverse animals in the Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve, buy a treat in the Otavalo Market, or go to Nariz del Diablo.
- Colombia: See the cathedral of Santuario de las Lajas or stay in the romantic city of Cartagena.
- Venezuela: Snorkel in Los Roques or see the amazing Angel Falls.
- Guyana: See the Kaieteur Falls, St. George’s Cathedral, Stabroek Market, Promenade Gardens, Georgetown Lighthouse, and so much more!
- Suriname: Visit the old sugar factory Mariënburghike or watch nesting sea-turtles in Matapica or Galibi. You can walk through the Parbo market, see Fort Zeelandia, or go to Commewijne.
Photos are taken in person or provided by the supplier except where credited.